I decided to make you all a bunch of workout challenges for the month of July! So who’s ready to get fit for July? Are you in?
And we’re already into July!
July has three calendars: a basic version, one for beginners, and one focusing on cardio endurance using a lot of cardio and interval workouts.
The directions are simple: find the current date on the calendar, see what workout(s) it asks for, and pick one from each section listed for that date. For example, if today it says “Arms” and “General,” I’d find an arm workout and a general workout to do today.
If you’d like to write about your experiences during the month or see how others are doing, please use the tag “BoP: July”. By all using this tag, we can see what others are doing during the month and send others encouragement along the way. Let’s all support each other on our journeys! (If you’re not on Tumblr but still use these calendars, feel free to update us on the Back On Pointe Facebook Page or the Back On Pointe Fitocracy Group! Or, post on Instagram or Twitter!)
During the month, remember that you should take as many rest days as you need, modify any workouts that you cannot do, stay hydrated, get more low-intensity cardio, and eat well.
p.s. Any of the calendars can be modified. If you are training for a half-marathon, feel free to count that as your cardio on cardio days. If you’re sore in the arms from helping a friend move, substitute a butt workout instead. It’s all about you!
- Lean Arms Workout v.1
- Lean Arms Workout v.2
- Tone Those Triceps!
- Weight-Free Arms
- Arms Workout
- All About Arms
- Dumbbells, Smart Arms
- Beginner Arms
- Load Your Guns
- Awesome Arms
- Press, Press, Press
- Inner Thigh Toner
- Tame Those Thighs
- Kill Those Legs!
- Your Best Butt
- Thigh Toner
- Dancer’s Legs Workout
- Legs Workout
- 5 Minute Butt Blaster
- Legs For Days
- Shapely Squats
- Beach Babe Booty
- Get Those Glutes
- Love Your Legs
- Beginner Legs
- All-Over Abs
- 1-2-3 Ab Workout
- Quick Challenge
- I Seek Obliques
- Abs Challenge
- Intense Abs
- Waist Trimmer
- Ballet Abs
- Flat Abs Workout
- Lower Ab Attack
- Easy Abs
- Core Work for Beginners
- Waist Well-Wisher
- Jump-Free Workout
- Student Workouts
- Wake Up Warm Up
- Full Body Meltdown
- Absolute Beginner Workout
- Fat Blaster
- Quiet Workout
- Coffee Break Workout
- All-Over Workout
- Whole Body Workout
- Morning Angel Workout
- No Space? No Problem!
- Basic Dumbbell Workout
- Full Body Workout
- One-Song Workouts
- 50 Up, 50 Down
- Morning Workouts
- Leveled Workouts
- Count Up, Count Down
- Strength and Cardio
- Water Bottle Workout
- Workout Challenge for the Absolute Beginner
- Extreme Bodyweight Workout
- Throw Pillow Workout
- Dumbbell Destroyer
- Powerhouse Workout
- Dumbbell Burnout
- No-Impact Workout
- Beginner Kettlebell
- Kettlebell Knockout
- To The Floor
- Weather Workout
- Quick Workout
- Digital Clock Workout
- Leveled Cardio
- One-Room Cardio
- All-Cardio Challenge
- Cardio Circuit
- Killer Kardio
- Beginner Cardio
- Kick-It Cardio!
- Basic Cardio
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
Today is one week of a juice detox, 7 lbs down :)
My love my best friend
• Ditch the Pop-Tart for a slice of high-fiber toast with strawberry jam.
• Gotta have carbs? Split a bagel with a coworker.
• Drink your two cups of joe black. Or order a single espresso instead of your usual latte.
• Swap OJ for the real deal—one fresh orange.
• Trade a side of regular sausage for turkey.
• Top your waffles with Reddi-Whip instead of syrup (or use sugar-free).
• Skip the whip on any Caribou Coffee 16-ounce drink.
• Eat your granola from a 4-ounce mug, not an 8-ounce bowl.
• Lose the Yoplait Thick & Creamy and have a Yoplait Fiber 1.
• Order pancakes, but hold the butter.
• Scramble together 4 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs.
• Leave the Swiss cheese out of your sandwich.
• Slather your bread with mustard rather than mayo and save 80 calories per tablespoon.
• Pass up croutons at the salad bar.
• Use up to 10 pumps of ranch dressing spray instead of pouring 2 tablespoons from a bottle.
• Devour a slice of Pizza Hut cheese pan pizza instead of the meat lover’s variety.
• Take your iced tea unsweetened.
• Reach for a Snapple raspberry white tea instead of a Snapple raspberry iced tea.
• Stuff chicken salad into a whole-wheat pita instead of between slices of multigrain bread.
• Make your burger turkey, not beef.
• Slurp minestrone soup instead of cream of anything.
• Go bunless—shed your hamburger roll.
• Use south-of-the-border savvy: Have a quesadilla made with two 6-inch corn, not flour, tortillas.
On Your Snack Break
• Drink sparkling water instead of soda.
• Move your stash of Hershey’s Kisses at least 6 feet away from your desk—you’ll dip in half as often.
• Drain the heavy syrup from your can of fruit cocktail and then rinse the fruit with water before digging in.
• Have 1/2 cup of fresh grapes instead of that little snack box of raisins.
• Lay off the Lay’s Classic potato chips and have a handful of Rold Gold pretzels.
• Munch on a bag of Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop Kettle Korn, not Movie Theater Butter.
• Chase down the ice-cream truck for a Good Humor vanilla sandwich, not a King Cone.
• Stop eating when you hit the crust. The edges and bottoms of baked goods are especially caloric because they absorb the butter used to grease the pan.
• Fill your bowl with sorbet instead of ice cream—you can have an extra 1/2 cup of the former and still slash calories.
• Next time a cocoa craving hits, ditch the dish of chocolate ice cream (about 3/4 cup) for a Fudgsicle.
• Have sugar-free Jell-O instead of pudding. Better your nighttime treat jiggle than your thighs.
• Go ahead and have that piece of birthday cake—just scrape off the chocolate frosting first.
• Eat 5 meringue cookies instead of 2 chocolate chip ones.
• Pass on the à la mode and savor that brownie au naturel.
• Can the cone. Have your ice cream in a bowl.
• Top your dessert with 1/2 cup of fresh berries instead of 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup.
In the Kitchen
• Substitute nonfat Greek yogurt for a serving of sour cream.
• Use chicken broth (low-sodium is best) instead of oil to sauté meat and veggies.
• Making homemade mac ‘n cheese? Cut 2 tablespoons of butter from the recipe.
• Replace the oil or butter in cakes with Sunsweet Lighter Bake prune-and-apple mixture or any brand of unsweetened applesauce.
• Next time you make meatballs, meatloaf, or burgers, go half-and-half with ground beef and turkey.
• When preparing packaged foods that call for butter or oil, like rice and stuffing, use a broth instead.
• Swap low-fat cottage cheese for whole-milk ricotta when you make lasagna or stuffed shells.
At the Drive-Thru
• Pass up a Wendy’s baked potato with sour cream and chives and chow down on value fries instead. Amazing but true.
• Have a McDonald’s cheeseburger instead of a Quarter Pounder with cheese.
• Downsize your drink: Trade a large fountain soda (with ice) for a medium.
• Go for grill marks. Order a flame-broiled chicken sandwich rather than one that’s breaded (and usually fried in oil).
• Treat yourself to an ice-cream cone at McDonald’s instead of Dairy Queen.
• Crunch on one Taco Bell regular taco instead of a Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco. And all the hot sauce you want.
• Slurp a cup of Panera Bread’s low-fat chicken noodle soup instead of the cream of chicken with wild rice.
• Make your daily pick-me-up at Starbucks a skinny vanilla latte, not a regular.
When You’re Not Cooking
• Request the lemon chicken with white rice, not fried.
• Skip the crunchy noodles with your bowl of wonton soup.
• Ask for an order of Szechuan Shrimp instead of your usual General Tso’s.
• Choose the pasta with 1/2 cup of marinara instead of 1/2 cup of Alfredo sauce.
• Indulge your inner carnivore with beef stroganoff, not meat lasagna.
• Go with the baked potato (butter only), not the mashed, as your side of choice.
• Dip your dinner roll in marinara sauce instead of olive oil.
• Avoid anything breaded. Flour and bread crumbs not only add calories but also absorb more cooking oil.